What is Penetration Testing?
Penetration testing, or pen testing, is an essential part of any organisation’s security strategy. It is a comprehensive process that goes beyond traditional vulnerability scanning, allowing us to identify and evaluate vulnerabilities in the environment before they can be exploited. It is a proactive security measure that helps organisations protect their data and systems from malicious actors.
Our services include analysing a variety of systems and networks, identifying security flaws, and providing detailed reports with detailed recommendations on how to address those flaws. Sekuro can also provide implementation support, helping organisations to remediate any issues that are identified.
IT systems are the backbone of any business, small or large. Internal servers, applications and workstations hold information that is critical to any business. The information can be a mix of IP, commercially sensitive, or personally identifiable information. Systems that hold this information and employees who access this information are trusted and therefore generally subject to .
It is this trust that hackers try and constantly exploit as there is a higher likelihood of successfully compromising an organisation from within than it is from the outside.
All organisations should test the security of their internal systems from the perspective of an internal attacker to ensure a compromised staff account or a disgruntled user cannot cause serious and irreparable damage or their ability to function. Our Sekuro RED team can help with an internal pen test.
Internet-facing IT infrastructure is constantly being poked and prodded by hackers from all over the world, whether you are a small business with a tiny Internet presence or a multinational.
Remote work technologies, email servers, file transfer servers, or any other Internet-facing IT equipment, if misconfigured or left without software updates can be used by attackers to gain a foothold into your trusted internal network, corporate servers and workstations and be used to seriously limit the ability of your organisation to function.
Learn more about pen testing
What is Penetration Testing?
Penetration testing, also known as pen testing, is a simulated cyberattack on a computer system or network to evaluate its security. It is used to identify and fix security vulnerabilities that could be exploited by attackers.
Types of Penetration Testing
There are three main types of penetration testing:
- Black box testing: In black box testing, the penetration tester is given no knowledge of the target system’s internal structure or configuration. This simulates the real-world scenario of an attacker who is trying to exploit a system for the first time.
- White box testing: In white box testing, the penetration tester is given complete knowledge of the target system’s internal structure and configuration. This allows the penetration tester to test the system more thoroughly, as they know exactly what to look for.
- Grey box testing: Grey box testing is a combination of black box and white box testing. The penetration tester is given some knowledge of the target system’s internal structure and configuration, but not all of it.
Why Organisations Should Use Penetration Testing
There are many reasons why organizations should use penetration testing, including:
- To identify and fix security vulnerabilities before they are exploited by attackers.
- To comply with industry regulations, such as PCI DSS and HIPAA.
- To improve their security posture and reduce their risk of being hacked.
- To gain peace of mind knowing that their systems are secure.
How to get started with penetration testing.
If you are interested in getting started with penetration testing, there are a few things you need to do:
- Identify your security goals: What do you hope to achieve by conducting a penetration test?
- Work with Sekuro RED to develop a penetration testing plan: This plan will include the scope of the test, the objectives of the test, and the reporting requirements.
- Conduct the penetration test: Once the penetration testing plan is in place, Sekuro RED will conduct the test and provide you with a report of their findings.
- Fix any vulnerabilities: Once you have received the penetration testing report, Sekuro RED will work with you to fix any vulnerabilities that were found.
Penetration testing is an important part of any organisation’s security program. By conducting regular penetration tests, you can identify and fix security vulnerabilities before they are exploited by attackers. This will help to improve your security posture and reduce your risk of being hacked.